USA v. Peterson, et al.
James A. Chu, M.D.
Dr. Chu received his medical degree in 1976 from Tufts University School of Medicine after graduating from Yale College. Since 1994 he has been an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and since 1997 has been a Senior Psychiatrist at McLean Hospital. Since 1990, Dr. Chu has been the Director of the McLean Hospital Dissociative Disorders Program for In-patient Services.
Dr. Chu served on the Task Force on Dissociative Disorders for the DSM-IV from 1990-1993. In 1990, Dr. Chu was a Fellow of the ISSD and that organization awarded him its Cornelia B. Wilbur Award in 1991 and its Distinguished Achievement Award in 1993. He was president of the ISSD in 1997.
Since 1984, Dr. Chu has spoken frequently on topics related to MPD and he has published numerous articles, book chapters and reviews. Following are some publications from 1996 to present:
- Chu, J.A., Matthews, J.l., Frey, L.M, Ganzel, B. The nature of traumatic memories of childhood abuse. Dissociation 1996; 9:1-17.
- Chu, J.A. Post-traumatic responses to childhood abuse. In Michelson & Ray (Eds.) Handbook of Dissociation: Theoretical, Empirical and Clinical Perspectives. New York: Plenum Publishing, 1996.
- Putnam, F.W., Carlson,E.B., Ross, C.A., Anderson, G., Clark, P., Torem, M., Bowman, E.S., Coons, P.M., Chu, J.A., Dill, D.L., Loewenstein, R.J., Braun, B.G. "Patterns of dissociation in clinical and non-clinical samples. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1996; 184:673-979.
- Matthews, J.A., Chu, J.A. Psychodynamic therapy for patients with early childhood trauma. In Appelbaum, Uyehara & Elin (Eds.) Trauma and Memory: Clinical and Legal Controversies. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Chu, J.A. Trauma and dissociative disorders. In Sederer & Rothschild (Eds.) Acute Care Psychiatry: Diagnosis and Treatment. New York: Williams and Wilkins, 1997.
- Chernoff, P.D., Bodkin, J.A., Chu, J.A., Collins, E.C., Fitzpatrick, F.L., Markham, A.M., Moriarty, J.C., Rudnick, C. Repressed memory syndrome roundtable discussion. Massachusetts School of Law Review 1996-1997 (Winter; 4(1): 1-20.
- Chu, J.A. Trauma and suicide. In Jacobs, D. (Ed.) Harvard Medical School Guide to Suicide Assessment and Intervention. Boston, MA: Harvard Medical Publications, 1998, accepted for publication.
Audio tapes available:
- Audio Transcripts, Ltd., 3660-B Wheeler Ave., Alexandria, VA 22304.
Phone: (703) 370-8273. Fax: (703) 370-5162
- Seventh Annual Eastern Regional Conference on Abuse, Trauma, and Dissociation, June 8-12, 1995, Alexandria, VA. Critical Moments in the Treatment of DID (Master Class)..James A. Chu, M.D. and Joann A. Turkus, M.D. (2 cassettes $50.00)
- ISSD 13th International Fall Conference "Healing the Divided Mind" San Francisco, CA, Nov 7-10, 1996. "The Nature of Traumatic Memory of Childhood Abuse"...James A. Chu, MD (3 casettes $60.00)